Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Wild Hogs Memorial Day

MISSION SUCCESS
Laurie's Journal

On the writing front, I had a bit of "home work" to do over the holiday weekend including a few tweaks to a couple of scenes in my first novel...and *drum roll* christening it with a new title!

I'm not going to share what that new title is just yet--I've learned the value of suspense--but watch for a future post on that subject. In the meantime, it shall be known as:

The Novel Formerly Known as P2PC

(tee hee)

My next task is to get back to work on The Outer Planets. I've set a goal of RWA Nationals for the completing the final rub out, polish, and shine. *rolls up sleeves*

Wax on, wax off.

Memorial Day Outing

I'm very lucky to live in an area that's known for being the setting of Hollywood westerns and aging biker flicks. For Memorial Day, David and I made the short drive to Madrid (MAD-rid), New Mexico to enjoy the rustic charm of the mining-community-turned-artist-colony and Harley Club destination.

Madrid gained a bit of fame (and a lot of sprucing up) as the main set for the movie Wild Hogs, but it was already a died-in-the-wool Biker Central long before the movie was filmed. The narrow tree-lined main road, quaint artists shops, Mineshaft Tavern and quirky eateries make for quite a draw.

We enjoyed people-watching, motorcycle-admiring and truly spectacular weather from our restaurant patio table over a scrumptious fish and chips lunch. Ahhh, summer!

Here's a few photos from our day.

From the patio at The Holar Restaurant 
overlooking the Mineshaft Tavern deck.
(Visits from local dogs provided at no extra charge.)

A purdy yeller trike that caught my eye,
parked at the Mineshaft Tavern.

The famous/infamous Mineshaft Tavern

Mug Shot! On the deck at the original soda fountain shop.
(This is the look you get when you snap a Candid Camera on me. heh)

Of course, Memorial Day is all about remembering those who sacrificed so much for our country and our way of life. If you have a minute, please check out the video David put together from recent pics of some of the monuments and memorials in DC and posted on Facebook. I think he did an excellent job. What do you think?


~~ * ~~

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on the movement forward with P2PC. I had a feeling that once you reached this point there'd be encouragement to change the title. Part of me is like, wahh because there's something to be said for an author's vision, but on the other hand, a title is an important marketing tool.

    Readers of traditional SF wouldn't blink an eye, but presumably your publisher-to-be will be trying to reach a wider audience than that.

    Looking forward to the reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Heather.

    The title swap was actually painless. I had chosen a "real title" for this manuscript some time ago which I haven't yet shared with the universe.

    I ran it by Amanda (agent) and she loved it! YAY! (Hope editors feel the same.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! One of the nerve-wracking things with my publisher was it actually stated in the contract that they could change my book title - but they never did. It's one of the many possibilities you have to face thought. I think it's quite a good idea to have a working title and then keep the 'real' one a secret. Best of luck with the next project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited about your title change! I know you've been sitting on this one.

    I felt incredibly lucky to get to keep "Ghost Planet." The idea for the title actually inspired the whole story, so I had grown pretty attached to it.

    Looks like you had a fun weekend, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two of the biggest authorly angsts. Covers and titles, and how they can and will be changed with or without our control.

    But not in this case. I was chomping at the bit to discuss the REAL title...though cringing inside that she wouldn't like it. No worries!

    P2PC (futuristic slang for Planet to Planet Courier--the MCs occupation) did it's job well, but it didn't convey the deeper themes of the story IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool, Laurie, to be thinking of those kinda things! BTW, I couldn't get through to David's video, but I appreciate his effort on behalf of those who made the ultimate sacrifice. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pics, laurie! Can't wait ot hear about the rebirth of P2PC!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)