Monday, February 3, 2020

Terminator: Dark Fate - Great Twists and a Major Fix

Before I provide my take on Terminator: Dark Fate, I wanted to mention that co-blogger Donna Frelick has announced her new podcast site where she provides movie reviews in her insightful, entertaining and very professional narrative style. If you'd like to catch up on some of the more recent releases and/or Oscar contenders on her site--My Moviehouse, My Rules--check out her Friday blog here:  Podcast Launch has Steep Trajectory 

I'd recommend checking out her Lightning Round as a sampler of five recent movies in quick-fire succession. She convinced me I had to see two or three that were on my "maybe" list.

Now, on to my review.

Although the ads didn't do enough to get me into a theater, I was intrigued enough to catch Terminator: Dark Fate as a recent offering on satellite pay per view. I'll try to keep this free from major spoilers while still explaining why the film appealed to me, but for obvious reasons I'll have to stay in the vague territory for a few elements.

I admit I've had some major disenchantment with the Terminator franchise in some of the after-the-original forms, especially when replacing well-loved characters with new actors. Like Star Wars: Solo it just wasn't the same. Terminator: Dark Fate was actually an enjoyable, action-packed view with a nod to a couple of the original players. Although it didn't exactly have a happy ending, the finale probably was necessary--maybe even required to tie up some loose ends if the franchise is ever planning another in the series.

Terminator Dark Fate movie poster is the
property of the stuidio and/or artist.
So, my first big mark in the plus column was the return of Sarah Conner (not a big spoiler to anyone who's seen the trailers or the posters). Yes, Sarah is back--in all her previous bass-assery glory and with three times the attitude. And as the cherry-on-top, complete with an iconic opening line.

I loved Linda Hamilton's reprisal of her famous role but this time in a different future timeline. This twisted-strands-of-time element lends a certain beauty to the story line--but it's the same element that makes you scratch your head trying to unravel all the paradoxes at the same time.

Wait! So Sarah Conner was able, in this future, to have prevented the atomic apocalypse and the deaths of 3 billion people--but there are still certain repercussions from that original time track? Whoa! Try processing that in all its mind-bending complexity. I'm not sure whether to classify it as a genius twist or a deeply flawed plot hole, but at any rate, I'll just run with it.

Sarah is not the stars of the show in this installment. That honor falls to Dani--a Mexican citizen--and Grace, who is...well, you'll have to discover that part for yourself, but she's every bit Sarah's match and her nemesis at the same time. Dani is a young, somewhat naive woman who, in this timeline, appears to have taken on the yoke of Sarah Conner's original fate--she's destined to save the world by way of her unborn offspring, IF she can survive. And she's very ill-equipped to do so as the story begins. Like Sarah, she evolves through her experiences into someone tougher, smarter and more prepared to take on her role. Again, IF she survives.

The good entities are trying to get Dani to a place near Laredo, TX, where some mysterious transmissions with valuable information have been sent to them. But getting to Texas involves a border crossing that throws a major wrench in the works when they're captured and detained, which then leap-frogs into mayhem and panic as the killer closes in. There's a surprise waiting for them in Texas--or really, maybe it's more of a surprise for the audience (provided the trailers haven't clued you in already to this twist).

Much like the original, the meat of the plot is that of a desperate game of cat and mouse with an enemy from a different future who appears invincible--a particularly single-minded assassin with an arsenal of executioner's weapons at his disposal, including the world's IT.

The chase portions are just as suspenseful and edge-of-your-seat as those in the original movie, though the situation gets more and more outlandish as the hunt continues, until it goes IMHO beyond the normal person's capacity for suspension of disbelief. But for those who like explosions, mortal battles in death-defying situations, firestorms, hurtling shrapnel, crashes and characters getting the proverbial crap beat out of them--you'll love it.

Although the story didn't end on a particularly happy note--there was a twist at the end that in my mind "fixed" what the original franchise broke. Turns out what Sarah believed to be true about Dani wasn't the case. And the reveal made this story resonate with me in ways that the original--which came out long ago and far away in the mid-1980s--did not.

If you don't mind all the over-the-top carnage and destruction, Terminator: Dark Fate is worth watching just for this twisty revelation. Definitely an evolved sci-fi with a message for our time.

As always your parsecs may vary, so if you've seen Dark Fate feel free to share your thoughts in comments. If you want more of the (spoiler-alert!) meat of both the plot and characters, Donna has done a concise thumbs-down review on Spacefreighters Lounge, which you can find here:
Terminator Re-Start is a No Go

Have a great week!



3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it, Laurie! I still can't get past the conundrum of the timeline thing (see my review). Like Jim Kirk says, time-travel gives me a headache. And this movie gave me a migraine! Fun on a bang-em-up level, though, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think Sarah summarized it something like: "A Terminator came back in time to kill my son...from a future that no longer exists." Definitely a head-scratcher and a paradox in that it suggests alternate time lines can affect one another when time travel is added to the mix.

      Delete
  2. Oh, and thanks for the shout-out for my podcast! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)