Dear Readers:

We appreciate the fact the current political environment is highly charged, but we want to keep Spacefreighters Lounge a stress-free place for everyone to visit and exchange ideas about SFR.

Therefore, we ask that you please refrain from making political references that may antagonize those with differing viewpoints. Thank you for your consideration.

Friday, July 6, 2007

Dream Job...or Nightmare?

Got 17 months to spare? Want to make $92,000?

The European Space Agency is accepting applications from Russian citizens and other member nations of the ESA for six positions to be virtual astronauts on a simulated space flight to Mars and back. During the time "onboard" the virtual astronauts will eat packaged space food, experience communication delays that will range from a few seconds to forty minutes (just like on a progressing space flight) and handle 'emergencies'.

Read more here:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32542/113/

3 comments:

  1. Uh, no, I'll pass, thanks. Although, I have to admit the packaged food is tempting. I hate to cook.
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And are they going to make the time scale realistic too!
    I'll pass as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kimber. Yeah, that's a pass for me too, although I did ponder the idea a bit.

    Hi Flick. Yes, the timescale is realistic. I think it works out to something like 250 days out, some time to do experiments on Mars, and 250 days back.

    I guess my five-year time frame for Outer Planets wasn't too far off then, considering the mission goes as far as Neptune and back, and assuming faster forms of propulsion in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments set on moderation - all spammers will be exterminated!