Friday, September 4, 2015

BOLDLY GOING REQUIRES A LEAP OF FAITH


Boldly going on moving day

Last week I embarked on a journey, if not into the unknown, at least into the unfamiliar. I gathered myself (and all my worldly goods, my husband and two cats) and I launched myself into the ether. I took a leap of faith.

On the surface what I did may seem a simple thing, rather mundane. I just moved from Fredericksburg, Virginia, where I had lived for almost twenty years, to the small mountain town of Marshall, North Carolina, where hubby and I are building a new house. No big deal, right? People do it every day. When I was a kid I did it every couple of years, for reasons good and bad. It’s as American as apple pie. Just pick up and make a new life in a new place.

And, really, this move isn’t that intimidating. After all, we’ve owned the land we’re building on for almost ten years and have been visiting Marshall for all that time. We know the area and some of the folks in town by name already, so we have a start on making friends. My husband’s parents are just down the road in Black Mountain.

The house goes up on the mountain
Still, we’re leaving behind longtime friendships and our kids and grandkids, who will be much further away now. And despite the close allure of Asheville, we will be giving up the convenience of town life for the peace and quiet of the country.  It will be a change.

People have mixed reactions when we tell them what we’re up to. Most won’t come right out and say they think we’re crazy, but you can see it in their eyes. Why leave everything behind and start over at our age? Some say they wish they could but . . .

Blanca adjusts
Actually doing something like this—building an intentional community with others in an unfamiliar place—takes vision and a certain amount of pioneer spirit. It takes belief in yourself and your ability to persevere and adapt. It requires creativity and determination and flexibility. The challenges it presents are a major part of the fun. All in all, it’s a lot like writing, something I plan to do a lot of here on the mountain. 

And just like with writing, you take that leap of faith knowing the reward will be well worth it once you succeed.
 
 PING PONG

--Congratulations, Laurie, on your LAST BUDGET CYCLE EVER! Yay! Pretty soon you'll be taking this leap of faith with me as you hit the retirement road!

--Agree with you completely, Greta, that you need to know the rules of writing before you can break them. The best writers often bend the rules, but it's very clear they know what they're doing in the process.

Cheers, Donna


5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your grand adventure! We're doing the same thing, sort of. Moving "home," even though we haven't lived there for 30 years. O.O

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a such a move is an adventure! With so much potential. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you've been looking forward to this, Donna, even if it is a bit strange and unsettling at first. Blanca looks like she's settling right in though!

    Yes, the adventure of retirement is just around the corner for me too, but we've been building and living in our retirement home for the last 20+ years, so no big adjustment on that front. We'll have to come visit you some time. I've heard Asheville is a really beautiful area.

    Congrats on the new Home Sweet Home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your new life. We moved when we retired, and we've never looked back! We also haven't done a lot of things we said we would when we first unpacked. But that's another story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't envy you having to move house, though I do envy the adventure! I've never moved more than 40 miles from where I was born. We've lived in our current house more than half my lifetime now, and 18 years in my first home. I've moved 6 times, most of them in my late teens when my parents split up and I moved from rented rooms or houses in quick succession. I can't imagine moving again - I like to have a fixed place to come back to, all the more so after the unsettled period during my parents split where even having a home was hanging in the balance. But I would like to travel.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)