Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Seven Years Published #scifi #romance

Once upon a time, a tired, overweight mum who had lost herself sat at her computer listening to The Rasmus with an unfinished short story in hand and her three little monsters playing in the garden. I think she'd be quite surprised to look forward and see her 18 titles listed on Goodreads and a handful of print copies sitting on her bookshelf. She might also be a bit cross to see all the unfinished files on the computer and a zero word count for 2019. Oopsie?

But today on the 7th day of May I celebrate my 7th year as a published author. I feel a bit sad that over the past couple of years writing has slipped away from me to the point where I probably won't publish anything this year, but that's in large part down to my slightly earlier than expected return to full time work. I love my job as a science technician, but right now I'm not finding any way to carve out any writing time. I even had to turn down a dream project earlier this year because of it. But real life has to come first.

So what can I promise? Only that I don't intend to leave Keir and Quin's series incomplete, and that there are other stories to come. It's just going to take rather longer than I imagined back in 2012 when Keir first released. I can't abandon them. I just can't tell you when...

Like most of my stories, nothing has quite gone the way I'd planned or imagined. But isn't that the fun part?
Meanwhile, I do still have all those published works available...
Chook Update
It's been a sad year so far. Unfortunately I've lost two of my girls: sablepoot Jasmine, just a year old, to leg paralysis, while little black Firefly (our hatchling from 2017 and surrogate mum to my three little madams who hatched a year ago) disappeared without trace. And white Effie, who fought so hard to reach number three hen, suffered a respiratory illness which has strangely left her blind in one eye and back to the lower ranks.

Firefly with her babies

Jasmine helping me edit

Effie in her former glory
We also lost our gecko Yoshi.
And little madam Trinity not only went missing for 24 hours but suffered egg binding, although she now seems fully recovered.
We also have new babies, six weeks old today. This is little boy testing out his crow.
So it's all go on the chook side. And there are things afoot in cosplay too.
But that's a surprise for later... ;)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on seven lucky years! And so sorry about your feathery babies. Lots of ups and downs working with animals, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your years published milestone. Seven years! Wow. And yes, I totally understand how working full time can drain you of both time and mental energy to write, but you'll get there.

    Sorry to hear it's been a sad year for the chooks, but glad to see how much you're enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)