Monday, May 27, 2019

Storytellers' Fail - Here Lies a Great Epic

Last week I posted my thoughts on the final Game
of Thrones episode: My Watch Has Ended...Badly I did it mostly in pictures, because I had no words. No. Words. This will probably be my final post about GoT, ever. Because I don't want it tainting my thoughts and "damaging my calm" (to quote a truly great series) any longer. But I wanted to air a few final thoughts.

Since the last episode aired on May 19th, I've had some time to process [insert image of bubbling cauldron here] and I wanted to offer my take on how and why it failed so miserably for me. I'm not wearing the hat of a writer here, I'm wearing the one of a former fan.

There will be spoilers, but at this point, I don't think there's much left to spoil. Honestly.

GoT really was an epic series, right up until (IMHO) the last two episodes and the finale, in particular. We got a sense that there was some sort of divine guidance for many of the characters, and though they did bad things in their quest, either through misunderstanding or necessity, they were all pointed to one apex--one point in time where everything they did and said and worked toward would have meaning.

Unfortunately, that happened three episodes from the end of the story, in 'The Long Night,' better known as the 'Battle of Winterfell.' Although many viewers will disagree with me, I felt this episode was the crowning achievement of the series, only to have that triumph dragged through the mud for two more tortuous weeks where all expectations were crushed like melons (or heads), and none of the characters ended up in either a better place or gaining what they truly wanted. It was an utter fail as a series wrap.

This really went against what I believe. I believe a story well-told involves characters who get their reward in the end, and it must be equal to their struggle and what they sacrificed so much for--whether family, honor, duty, or to make a better world--it has to culminate in a great victory for the characters and the satisfaction of overcoming conflict and reaching a Happily Ever After--or at least a Happy For Now.

Instead, the characters regressed in unexpected twists that made no sense and (IMHO) left the audience baffled and depressed. It was as if the writers all had a huddle together and said, "Okay, this is what the viewers expect, so we'll just throw in a lot of gut-wrenching scenes and meaningless outcomes and do exactly what they're not expecting." Dudes...what we were expecting was to feel in the end that everything was worth the cost (including our own investment). And we SO didn't.

My takeaway? What in the Seven Kingdoms was it all for???

I was planning to purchase the entire series on DVD or Bluray so I could experience it again and again over many years...as I have with LotR, Star Wars, The Expanse, Firefly, Nashville...

I won't be purchasing those DVDs now because re-watching this series would be pointless and a huge waste of my time, knowing how it ends. And I'll be deleting all episodes I've recorded without ever viewing them again.

That, speaking as a former fan, is the very definition of an epic fail.

I couldn't help contrasting the end of GoT to LotR. How would readers have felt if they'd been denied both the redemption of Aragorn's bloodline and him finally being crowned as king, and instead he was busted back to ranger and sent into exile after all he'd gone through to defeat the evil attached to the One Ring?  I think they would have felt like I do. Very cheated. Very glum. Completely let down.

Throughout the seasons, the central theme of "the lone wolf dies but the pack survives" was hammered home, only to be completely disregarded at the conclusion. Only to have the exact opposite happen, the pack being scattered to fend/rule/live out their days alone instead of reuniting in what was long hoped to be a better world. (Well, okay, granted it probably will be a somewhat better world due to no longer having to fear The Night King and The Army of the Dead.)

But honestly, I have no idea what GRRM must be thinking seeing the amazing world he created being reduced to ash and ground beneath proverbial heels in contempt.

It used to be that most writer's greatest dream would be to have their work translated into film--big screen or small--where it could reach millions. That's not my dream anymore. GoT, in that aspect, is certainly a cautionary tale.

P.S.
I wrote this blog just a couple of days after viewing the final episode and while still feeling completely down about the ending. I need to add two quick caveats.

I watched the ending again--twice, in spite of swearing I'd never view it again--and I have to say the added opportunity to process gave me some new perspectives and did temper the despair I felt upon my first experience of the conclusion.

Then there was this: An extremely well-written article from someone who enjoyed the GoT ending--and why--in this Tor.com article by Tyler Dean. It too, helped me come to a somewhat better truce with the show's underwhelming finale. Very much worth the read.

Game of Thrones Asks What Kind of Stories Ultimately Matter

Time to move on to other adventures.

Enjoy your Memorial Day and have a great week.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)