Here's my Saturday Fun Post: Ten (of many) reasons why I think New Mexico is Science Fiction Paradise. (Yeah, what can I say. It's no secret I'm very proud of my state.)
1. VLA - The Very Large Array listens to the stars. Featured in movies like 2010 and Contact.
2. It's very cool for a writer to live in a place that can't decide which century it wants to exist in.
3. The atomic age dawned here, and with it phrases like Manhattan Project and Trinity site.
4. The personal computer was invented here.
5. Roswell. Nuff said!
6. Starry, starry nights. It's easy to be inspired to write about the stars when you can see them. Low light pollution, often cloudless skies. I sometimes gaze at the Milky Way and watch satellites zooming overhead.
7. Los Alamos and Sandia National Labs are on the cutting edge of technology.
8. Moonscapes! White sands. The Bisti Badlands. The Jornado del Muerte.
9. The film industry is hot here. From Wild Hogs to No Country for Old Men, and scenes from Indiana Jones.
10. Every notice how many science fiction novels mention New Mexico? It's galactic central. :)