Thursday, August 16, 2018

My favorite SFR

I'm a re-reader. Not every story will grab me, but if it does, I'll read and re-read. One of those books that hit the sweet spot was Linnea Sinclair's Hope's Folly. If you'd like to read the book's blurb, you'll find it here.

Yes, I suppose this is a review. But for me, it's also a statement of what works in science fiction - for me, personally, which, let's face it, is what a review is - a subjective point of view. This is a writer I admire – right up there with my all-time faves. So let's do the review thing. But if you're a writer, take note of how well this story has been built.

Hope's Folly is a love story, set in a time of political conflict and approaching war. The human Empire is being run by Tage, who has usurped the power of a weak and failing Emperor. Tage has decimated the ranks of the Admiralty, replacing senior fleet officers with people more likely to dance to his tune. But not everybody is going quietly. A rebel Alliance has risen to oppose Tage. Amidst the turmoil, the two alien species in the Galaxy see their opportunity to expand their own borders.

When the story opens we meet Admiral Philip Guthrie, who escaped the purge of the Admiralty by the skin of his teeth. He's 45 years old, with a shattered right leg healing slowly and the weight of the deaths of many colleagues on his conscience. Tage used Guthrie to plan his purge. Now, Guthrie is determined to join with other Alliance leaders to build a new fleet and defeat Tage's Imperial forces. But the Empire wants him dead and the Farosians want to capture him to swap him for their own leader, who Tage has imprisoned. On top of all that, Guthrie's new flagship is a very old ex-fleet cruiser which was disarmed, decommissioned and used as a freighter, and he has to enlist a crew from wherever he can, knowing some of them will be plants.

Lieutenant Rya Bennton is the daughter of Guthrie's captain and mentor, back in the day. A 29 year-old Imperial Security assassin, she turned rebel when her father was killed in that purge. She's no dolly bird, tall and built with curves and a lovely ass – and a spare thirty pounds she could afford to lose. She remembers meeting Guthrie when she was a pudgy 9 year old and he was a 25 year old lieutenant who showed her how to fire a laser pistol. She, like Guthrie, has a love bordering on obsession with hand weapons. The description when Rya first sees Guthrie's Norlack laser rifle is a wonderful piece of innuendo. In this scene, too, we see the connection between the two, the way they think alike.

“Is this,” she asked hesitantly, “what I think it is?”
“What do you think it is?”
“Norlack 473 sniper, modified to handle wide-load slash ammo.” There was a noticeable reverence in her voice.
He pulled the rifle out, hefting it. She had a good eye. Norlacks weren't common. But recognizing it was modified for illegal and highly destructive charges … Then again, she'd seen it in action. “It is,” he confirmed, amused now by the expression on her face. It had gone from reverence to almost rapture.
“That is so totally apex.” Her voice was hushed. “May I,” and she glanced shyly at him, her eyes bright, spots of color on her cheeks, “fondle it?”
He stared at her, not sure he heard her correctly. Then he snorted, laughing. Fondle it, indeed. He handed it to her. She took it, cradling it at first, then running her fingers lovingly down its short barrel. Sweet holy God. He didn't have enough painkillers in him to stop his body's reaction to the smokiness in her eyes, or the way her lips parted slightly, the edge of her tongue slipping out to moisten them, as her hands slid over the weapon.

Ahem. Back to the review.

The love story between these two is gorgeous. Rya keeps insisting she has a huge crush on her commanding officer – that's all. What would he see in her, anyway? And that thirty pounds... Guthrie keeps realising that not only is he too old for her, but he has a duty to her father's memory to protect her, not lust after her. He also has to get his almost defenceless ship past Farosian raiders and Imperial warships, regardless of Rya and a broken leg. But circumstances fling them (often quite literally) together in what used to be Rya's father's ship as Guthrie tries to build a cohesive team from a bunch of disparate people who don't know each other. And one of them is a mole.

So why did this story grab me and not let go?

Because it's so real. In Linnea Sinclair's universe the ships are not run by all-powerful artificial intelligences. To me, they're not much different from what we have now, with engine rooms, weapons systems and the all-important environment systems all run using computers but with people running the show. Guys get to cut code, hack, mess about in the systems. The ships have blast doors. The pipes gurgle and knock, metal pings as it cools, or creaks and groans. Everything smells – hot engine oil, leather, soap, food, hair. The ex-freighter has a ghostly smell of oranges that comes and goes.

The people are real. Guthrie is tall, smart, the son of a rich family (which has its own drawbacks). But he's not a superman. He makes mistakes, has his own foibles, calls himself a Galactic-class ass on more than one occasion. I've mentioned Rya's issues with her weight. She's also impulsive and not much good at saying 'sir'. The secondary characters are just as convincing, ordinary people forced to cope with extraordinary circumstances.

The politics is real. I have a history degree and these things matter to me. I can see the Empire disintegrating in this way. If I were to be asked for a similar situation in our recent past, I'd go for Stalin taking over in the USSR.And then there's the cat. Captain Folly, who comes with the ship, leaves white fur all over the place and prefers women to men. He's a moggy, much loved by a little girl called Hope. He plays an important role in the story. You'll like him.

As always with Linnea Sinclair's stories, things move apace – except for the opening chapter, which I enjoyed more the second time around. This is the third book of a series and the first chapter orientates the reader, I guess. But persevere. From there on, the author works on the basis of 'if things can go wrong, they will go wrong'. Guthrie's relationship with Rya plays as an underlying complication to all the other issues the two face. Take out the romance, and yes, you'd still have a great story. But man, you'd miss out on soooo much.

Oh, and before I finish, I must mention the sex scenes. They're not many and they're intense, steamy and sensual, but not a how-to manual.

I loved this book, I loved Philip Guthrie. He is very definitely my kind of man. Sigh. I'm too old to be a fangirl. Five stars. But you knew that already.

So that's the review done. What can I learn as a writer?
  • Make the cause worthwhile - things people will lay down their lives for.
  • Engage all the senses.
  • Introduce a bit of quirkiness (the cat and the oranges).
  • Use humour.
  • Make sure ALL your characters are real people, with a mix of strengths and flaws.
  • Keep the pace up.
  • When your heroes are in trouble, pile it on.
  • Introduce the unexpected to add twists – but don't suddenly introduce cavalry without the reader knowing it's out there.
  • And probably other things like great use of words and getting into a character's head.
Anything else you'd like to contribute?

6 comments:

  1. You've made me want to go back and reread this book. I tried to do that once, but as you pointed out, the backstory at the beginning went on longer than I could persevere -- but I certainly agree that Linnea Sinclair is one of the best SFR writers out there. Finders Keepers is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Finders Keepers too. And Games of Command. I reckon you could skip Ch 1, Ed, and read from there. It's worth it. Promise.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this one in many years. It was a great story, though Games of Command and Accidental Goddess are probably my faves. That said, ANY Linnea Sinclair SFR is a keeper! (I could just smell that faint perfume of oranges wafting through the corridors of Hope's Folly.)

    Great review, Greta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wanted to comment on the new cover, which I think is a huge improvement and much more fitting to the story than the original. (Though I never quite pictured Philip as the Rutger Hauer type!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reread a LOT! Half my reading every year is rereads. It’s why my tbr mountain is out of control. And Linnea Sinclair is one of my favourites to reread. And yes, Hope’s Folly is my favourite of that series, although I see Guthrie more as a Daniel Craig type. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)