Saturday, July 3, 2021

When Journeys End

As I continue "head-writing" the second and third novels in my generational trilogy, I'm wrangling with one unavoidable aspect -- the death of important characters. It can't be sidestepped in a storyline that covers nearly a century in the transformation of one planet, but that reality doesn't lessen the impact of these terrible losses.

I remember a popular generational series I read as a young adult (anyone remember The Bastard?) As a reader, I ate the series up....until the anti-climatic death of the title character. Then I had difficulty reading on or caring where the story led. 

As an author, it's my responsibility to learn from that experience and ensure the deaths have meaning and/or dignity and the passing leaves the reader with a sense that this character has accomplished their purpose in their time before they "go to the stars," but the day has come when they must hand the reins off to those who will follow them. 

Lately, one of these characters has been asserting her will in my subconscious by showing me scenes from her end days, and "suggestions" for how she'd like it all to unfold. At this point in the story, the focus has shifted to later generations, but she's still very present and still very much a guiding hand and a powerful influence, and her loss is going to be felt very deeply. It's up to me to ensure that her legacy lives on, and the role she played in shaping an empire and preparing it for a bold and uncertain new future casts an indelible mark that will echo down through the centuries.

If you've read any of the books in my Inherited Stars series, you may have a clue who she was. Her actions are still causing ripples fifteen hundred years later, and her legend is either adamantly affirmed or vehemently denied, depending on the particular character's beliefs.

Remember Cleopatra's death scene in the 1963 film? It's a very different death in a very different civilization (and this character most certainly did not commit suicide), but I think it provides some inspiration for how this scene might unfold.




Thanks for stopping by the Lounge today.



4 comments:

  1. Anne McCaffrey faced such a dilemma in her Pern series, when she went back to when Pern was founded. And also the Master Harper. I'll admit to shedding a tear here and there. Especially in the novella about Moreta.McCaffrey was so good at writing emotion.

    And then there's Pratchett's "The Shepherd's Crown". After several years I still can't bring myself to read it for a second time.

    Best wishes with your difficult story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts, Greta. I've read many of the Pern books, but didn't get that far in the series. Someday I'll have to re-immerse myself in the series I loved so well to see how she handled it. Might have to add The Shepherd's Crown to my TBR list, too.

      Delete
  2. That's an interesting dilemma and one that needs to be thought through. If you are only talking about a century and you don't want the character to die, is there any way that they can just live for over a hundred years with advanced medicine? Or did I misread something and the timeline is much longer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The timeline for this trilogy is about a century. The Inherited Stars books take place about 1,500 years later (I've got a lot of books brewing for that n-between era, but not sure I'll ever get them all done.). The overall history of Draxis spans about 15,000 years, though.

      I've had a few thoughts on how she could live on, but in the end I realized that newer generations need to step up, take the reins, and forge their own destinies. Like the Star Wars catch phrase goes, "Every generation has a Legend." :)

      Delete

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)