Friday, August 6, 2021

Happy Birthday to Me

 August is my birthday month. And this year not just any birthday. I turned 50. A milestone for more than just the number. It means I've enjoyed seven more years of life than my mum. I have so far survived a pandemic. I should have been going to Iceland to celebrate but considering the circumstances am grateful to have been able to spend it in Edinburgh instead, in the country that I've been told is a large part of my ancestry. It's also the place where I've met the most of my Facebook friends for real. 

We drove from home to York first, then up to Edinburgh via Bamburgh Castle (used as a backdrop to Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, the series Robin of Sherwood, and the first two Harry Potter films). 


In Edinburgh, youngest and I took a tour of the underground vaults, hearing of the persecution of witches and viewing some of the lovely instruments of torture, then learning of the crimes and hauntings of Edinburgh's underground. Worth a trip if you ever go that way.

The only photo I got - a sacrificial altar for the local Hellfire Club!

We ate lunch in the park, then wandered the shops until an awesome dinner at a local Italian restaurant.



Then it was back to York and the local Shambles Market, where my favourite fossil and mineral stall got a good chunk of my spending money. A quick stop at Amble for lunch, and another castle - Warkworth - before home again. Fun but exhausting!



Presents from the family included a space rocket handbag from hubs, and a massive treat box from eldest, plus a spacey themed new rucksack I bought myself. 

All in all, turning half a century doesn't seem so bad...

4 comments:

  1. Happy 50th Birthday! Fun gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Happy birthday to you! Scotland is on my bucket list, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Scotland. And happy fiftieth to you. Pity about Iceland but that's the way of the world just now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy (Belated) Landmark Birthday! Sounds like a wonderful celebration. I have Scottish roots, so hope to visit one day. Your shot of Bamburgh Castle is gorgeous. For some reason, the Winterfell theme starting playing in my head. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)