Thursday, August 11, 2022

Dune rocks!


 Frank Herbert's famous novel, DUNE, has been filmed more than once. It's a classic tale of a fated messiah conquering evil and freeing his people. I read the book many years ago and to me, in the same way that Avatar is native Americans in space, Dune is the Bedouin in space. I enjoyed the original book, I quite liked the second book, and gave up on the third.

The first version of Dune the movie came out in 1984. Kyle Maclachlan played Paul Atreides and Sting had a part, too. I don't recall the details except that I was unimpressed. However, I've found a wonderful review of that movie and I urge you to read it. It'll make your day. It certainly reassured me that my hazy recollection is spot on.

In 2000 John Harrison plucked up the courage to have another go in a three-part miniseries. Alec Newman played Paul Atreides and William Hurt was his father, Duke Leto. The miniseries won two Emmy Awards in 2001 for Outstanding Cinematography and Outstanding Special Visual Effects in a miniseries or movie, and was nominated for a third Emmy for Outstanding Sound Editing. The series was also praised by several critics. And, dear reader, I thought it was pretty good. Certainly much better than the 1984 farce.

Then a new movie was announced. It was due for release in 2020 but the dreaded covid delayed its release until this year. I've finally had a chance to watch it and I think it's terrific. Some people have complained that it's part one of a two part series but I think that's fine. One of the reasons for the 1984 flop was that the film was too short, cutting necessary background scenes without which the plot made little sense.

The special effects are awesome. The sand worms are menacing and convincing and I loved the helicopters which fly like dragonflies. The acting is excellent, too. Paul Atreides matures and grows during the film, leaving this viewer panting for the next movie.

If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favour. There's even a love story just waiting to happen.


 Cheers,

Greta


2 comments:

  1. Great review! :) My recollections of previous versions are the reverse of yours. I remember the campy (and sometimes disgusting) 1984 version in detail, but the mini-series remake I've basically forgotten, except that I do remember being really disappointed in it.

    Oh, and the helicopters are actually ornithopters--a craft that imitates the action of a bird's wings for flight, though the new Dune's take on that being more like a hummingbird or dragonfly worked for me. Much more realistic -- and probably a lot closer to Frank Herbert's vision -- than the clunky and poorly imagined craft in the 1984 version. The sound effects were amazing, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's what makes movies and films interesting - we each have a different take. :)

      Delete

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)