Tuesday, January 7, 2020

2019 Recap and Looking Forward to 2020 #newyearhopes



Kind of feel I need the banner as I haven't exactly been a regular visitor here over 2019. Seems as well as suffering burnout, a return to a full-time job didn't leave me any time or energy for much else. Add taking on a pair of kittens and my eldest also getting a part time job requiring me to play taxi, and there really wasn't anything left.
Ember and Astrid (next photo) doing their favourite thing - sleeping!


Despite that I still managed to publish something. Admittedly only a short that I'd already offered as a freebie a couple of years back, but A Merry-traxian Christmas finally got an official release with a shiny new cover from Dani Fine, and proper edits to boot. According to my Goodreads page I now have 20 titles as we go into 2020. I guess that's not so bad (even if it took me over a year to finish edits on a mere 44 pages. Oh dear...).
So what does this all mean for the year ahead?
My first Chemistree, a technician tradition
Part of the Women in STEM display I was asked to do for the science department board

I continue to love my new career as a school science technician, but it doesn't leave me much time for writing. I just about squeezed my edits into my half hour lunch break. School holidays are spent with my kids and catching up on all those jobs I used to be able to do on a daily basis when I only worked part time. Even so, I've tentatively set my sights on finishing another side story in my main series that will help lead into book 3 without my editor going 'huh?!' >.<
Most of it is written, it's just the usual gap filling that my pantsing inevitably leads to. And of course the finances for edits and covers (funny how the extra money I'm earning seems to disappear just as quickly as when I earned less...).

But 2020 could also see a big move. With Brexit moving forward and the UK about to fall over the cliff edge, I want better for my family. We're hoping Scotland opts for independence so we can move up there. I'm not going to stay here and be called on to help push my kids and everyone else's futures under a bus. This year more than ever, the future is uncertain...
Chook Update
2019 saw several losses. My 'poot Jasmine began limping but eventually became completely paralyzed in one leg. Despite 24 hour care and initially showing signs of being bright and eating, she deteriorated and we took the decision to end her suffering.

Firefly, one of our hatchlings who in turned raised some chicks for us, disappeared while free ranging, never to return.
Effie suffered some fits due to vitamin deficiency, followed by a respiratory illness, before going blind in one eye and suffering further fits. The vet was unsure if it was neurological, a stroke or a tumour, but she eventually passed away despite our efforts.
Lastly we lost our beloved floof Kala after an internal abscess ruptured.
On the plus side, we successfully hatched ten chicks and kept one, our baby Princess Aura.
We also have newcomers: Pixie who lays a beautiful pale blue egg but isn't what she was sold to me as and has a permanently dirty tail.


And mottled blue Pekin Wanda.

And I shall leave you today with the adorableness that is kitten Ember at her mischievous best.

2 comments:

  1. The animals are adorable! And, yes, Brexit must be a very scary proposition. But, Scotland? Why not? Sounds exciting, no matter what Boris does! Best of luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved catching up on all your news, Pippa. "Chemistree." Love that. And yay you for getting a book out in spite of the lack of free time. I remember how that goes!

    Loved the update on all the critters too, and oh! those pale blue eggs. Like giant robin's eggs. I've seen the usual shades of white, off-white, tan and brown, but I never knew chickens could lay blue eggs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)