Monday, December 5, 2022

The Roci Flies Again for this Sci-Fi Fan

So I finally got to see the end of THE EXPANSE! Woohoo! 

Now that we've caught up with the general population in terms of our internet speed (many thanks to StarLink and Elon Musk -- thank you, thank you!) we can now finally make use of a FireStick. 

We're still learning the ropes, but the first thing I did was sought out those inaccessible seasons of one of my all-time fave sci-fi (w/romance) TV shows that I'd been deprived of for the last few years.  

Aw, yes, it was like going home again. I even cheered the first time I saw the Roci power into view. Probably one of my favorite sci-fi ships evah now. She even gives the old Falcon a run for her money. In fact, a model of the Rocinante is the only model ship I have on display in my office.

It was great getting reacquainted with all the regulars again -- Holden, Naomi, Alex, Amos, Avasarala, Bobbie, Peaches, Drummer and a host of others -- and to meet some of the newer characters introduced to the show, as well. But of course, it was only a brief reunion before I had to say goodbye again in the finale. Still, it was a very satisfying goodbye.

Though the story line wrapped up all the major threads, it definitely left a lot of things open-ended for any possible futures, possibly as a TV mini-series or limited series in the future. 

I think maybe the reason this Hugo Award-winning show resonates with me on so many levels are the similar elements it shares with Inherit the Stars and the series

A remarkable ship - check

An enigmatic captain - check

Crew conflicts - check

Multi-planet politics - check

Enemies to allies - check

A looming threat to the known universe - check

Now that I've experienced the multi-season small screen saga, I think I may dive in and explore the entire book series by James S. A. Corey (which is actually the local author team of Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck). I know the books are different, with more intricate plots and a larger cast of characters than the series, but I think it might be an inspiration to experience the story as it was originally conceived. 


I'll close with the haunting opening title to The Expanse, which also made its mark in terms of atmosphere and visuals and suited the series to a T. This, too, is going to stick with me. 

 Dear Expanse. Please return in some form to continue your story.

Have a great week.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)