Thursday, October 2, 2008

Interview with Dawn Jackson

Despite an insane schedule Dawn Jackson graciously agreed to do an interview during Intergalactic Science Fiction Romance Week here on Spacefreighters. She’s on the verge of publishing her first short story, and this has resulted in a lot of interest in her other work—primarily military SciFiRoms. Dawn’s background in the Army gives her characters wonderful authenticity. Dawn is a definite “one to watch” in the future SciFiRom arena.

Q: Now that you're in the process of selling a short--Sex, Shoes and Combat Boots--for the anthology Sex and Shoes being published with Ravenous Romance in December, what would you like to do for an encore?

A: I've been tinkering around with a story about a female Army sniper. Since the Army doesn't have women in combat arms positions, I saw in my mind the potential for great conflict and story line. I think the world outside the military, the civilian population, knows little about how it is to walk a mile in a female soldier’s boots. I'd like to give them a peek into that world and a sexy story at the same time. I also write science fiction romance and young adult. I would eventually like to find a home for them. Where I work on multiple WIPs at a time, it gives me a chance to hit on all the genres I love.

Q: How long have you been writing?

A: That’s a tough one to pin down. I’ve been telling stories since I was knee high to my father. He often called me ‘Windy’ because I talked non-stop. Now I still tell stories, but it’s on paper. I wrote several notebooks full of stories when I was twelve or thirteen, then boys happened, after that, the Army, children, life. I decided two years ago I’d put my writing off too long and made a goal to get published before my 40th birthday.

Q: Why do you write?

A: Somebody has to stop the voices in my head. LOL. Just kidding. Because I can and I love doing it. When I first picked it back up two years ago, it was so bad. Eighteen, nineteen years of being out of school and I actually had to think about grammar. Yikes. No one could pay me enough to show you the manuscript I’ve crammed under my bed. 110k of disaster. In the last two years, I’d like to think I’ve grown and improved. I certainly hope so. I have a lot more in me, now I just need the time to do it. You wouldn’t believe the stories churning around in my brain, waiting for their turn to get out.

Q: Do you have other hobbies or activities in which you invest a lot of time?

A: Well, I practice the martial arts. I’m a recommended black belt and would’ve been testing the day before Thanksgiving. Life interfered. So that’s on hold. I’m also selling one house, moving, and building another. I work full time, so that doesn’t leave me much time for hobbies. Hopefully I’ll be getting my belt in the spring. Art. I’ve been drawing since I could hold a pencil. Mostly wildlife, but every now and then I throw a fantasy painting together. I love painting dragons. I sew. I taught myself by making quilts. Crochet. Cook… [Laurie adds: I’ve seen Dawn’s artwork first hand. Her work is awesome.]

Q: What genre or genres are your favorite to write? To read?

A: That’s easy. Science Fiction and Fantasy Romance, hands down. I love the bizarre elements I can incorporate into these kinds of stories and still have characters falling in love.

Q: What elements do you put in your stories that you think will appeal to readers?

A: I think I do well with world building, action scenes. I like to blow things up. (On paper, that is.) I love strong female heroines and you won’t see a story I write with a weak kneed wimp. They all have backbone in one fashion or another.

Q: How many writing projects are you working on?

A: LOL. Shopping one completed novel, three re-writes, five novels half done, three short stories, two novellas and a partridge in a pear tree. There might be more, but these are the ones I’m working on.

Q: Who are your favorite authors or who has inspired you?

A: Depends on what I’m in the mood for. I love romance, but I’ll read anything that isn’t nailed down. I like Karen Marie Moning, Jim Butcher, Jane Austin, Stephen King, Susan Grant. I could probably go on and on.

Q: Do you have a favorite book?

A: Yeah, but the author isn’t published.

Q: Who is your favorite character from your stories and why?

A: Male characters—I have so many. That’s hard. Probably Nero. He’s definitely got personality and the interaction between Nero and Darius, his brother, was a blast to write. He’s that crazy buddy we all have, that drives you nuts, but when things get bad, he’s always there. You never know what’s going to come out of his mouth and when. Regardless, he always knows how to talk himself out of whatever he’s gotten into.

Female characters—Eva from clone. She’s a female sociopath, anti-heroin and my most challenging personality to nail down. Cold, calculating and without feeling, she’s one scary chick. What can I say? I adore her.

Q: If you could live in one of your books, which one would you choose and why?

A: An Alien’s Guide to Abducting a Bride. It has the best of two worlds. Travel between planets, family on both worlds, hot men… Seriously, with all the stuff I blow up and some of the nasty creatures I’ve spun from my imagination, I’d be scared to live on some of the worlds I created. When Souls Collide is a perfect example. Genocide, a plague… Nasty stuff. Here on Earth is fine with me. And what girl doesn’t want to be abducted by a hot alien?

Q: What do you enjoy most about being a writer? What don't you enjoy?

A: Serendipity.
Synopsis.

Thank you, Dawn! I’ll look forward to seeing your short published in December and, of course, to seeing all your wonderful novels in print very soon.

9 comments:

  1. "You wouldn’t believe the stories churning around in my brain, waiting for their turn to get out."

    Oh, yes, I can! Great job, both of yas.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kimber An. I've had the priviledge to read some of Dawn's WIPs. Her stories always have fascinating characters and dark and twisty plots. And BTW she has a really cool YASFR in the works, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, congrats again on the short story publication. And you've got me excited about Eva now. I can just see her in the film adaptation as well...!

    great interview, Laurie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice - well done Laurie and Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clone is a combination of Sci Fi
    romance and a political thriller with horror elements. I chose the name Eva to parallel Hitler's girlfriend and she is the president of Europia's clone. This is a post nuclear holocaust story where the planet is divided into two dominate regions. The United Regions or UR and Europia. This story is probably my darkest, and all written from the first person point of view of my sociopath. A twisted walk inside the mind of someone without remorse or feelings.

    First line...
    God created man, scientists clones and society monsters.

    Thanks all. It was fun.
    Thank you, Laurie for hosting this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And another fascinating interview, Laurie!

    Dawn - I was most interested in hearing that your favorite book ever is an unpublished one. I have quite a few writer friends and there are quite a few stories that I cannot believe have not been accepted for publication. They are THAT good. The market makes no sense to me sometimes.

    I hope this book you mention sees the light of day and finds a home in the bookstores and libraries and on the bookshelves of readers.

    Would you be comfortable sharing the author and the name of the book? If it is in process of being offered for publication, then I understand you would not want to share this info. If not, though, I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agent Z, Dawn is moving and internet challenged at the moment, but I'll see if I can't track her down and let her know you asked about this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd buy "Alien’s Guide to Abducting a Bride" based just on the title.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)