Thursday, September 5, 2019

I might even get excited

Disney has finally released a full-on trailer for December's The Rise of Sywalker. You'll know I've become a Star Wars cycnic, clutching my beads and murmuring 'please don't suck' under my breath. Well, I've put my beads down.


There's a lot to like about this trailer. For a start it offers a visual summary of the first six movies before we get to the story itself. That was great, reliving a history spanning decades - for those old enough to have seen the original Star Wars in which Han shot first, right through to newly converted devotees who have only seen the digitally enhanced versions.

There's more than a hint that Palpatine will play some sort of role (after all, his image is on the poster). Also, in the earlier 'hey we're here' trailer we were given a glimpse of what seemed to be a crashed Death Star on a desert planet.

And there are many, many questions, like where did all those ships come from? On both sides. Last I looked, the Rebels were on the bones of their bums, escaping with a handful of ships. And the First Order had a pretty good fleet, but hardly the array of star destroyers lined up for what would have to be one epic battle.

I love Imperial star destroyers. They're my favourite ships ever, so that scene alone might even get me into gold class to watch on the big screen. And from here, the next big question will be, where to for Star Wars when the Skwalker era comes to a close?

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Greta. The flashbacks to all the previous history is inspiring, and I hope the final movie pays homage to this epic story arc. As to where to go from here? Well, there's plenty of room to flesh out the backstory, but my concerns are that, like Solo, without the original actors in the roles, something major is lost in the translation. They could do parallel stories, ala Rogue One, and if done well these could be great entertainment, but I think the age of Star Wars is coming to a close. There will never again be a franchise that captures the hopes and dreams of an entire generation like this megamonster did. We just live in a different age now. But I thank Star Wars for everything it has been and has yet to be with this final episode. We will probably never see its likes again. (But that said, I'll always hold out hope I'm proven wrong.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for chiming in! We love to see your comments. (All comments are moderated so spam can be terminated!)